Since v116 and v117 we have gotten report about the game crashing for some people!
The most common ones seem to be:
- It crashes right away on startup: This is likely because of opengl being using and your system not working well with it for some reason. This can be solved for now by Right-Clicking the Cobalt shortcut, click properties, and in the “target” field that should contain something like “C:\Program Files\Oxeye Games\Cobalt\Cobalt.exe”, add -directx to the end, so that it now looks like “C:\Program Files\Oxeye Games\Cobalt\Cobalt.exe -directx”.
- Crashing at some random point during a challenge: In v117 we fixed a couple of these issues, and some who had problems with this no longer does. But it seems that for some all problems were not solved. We do not know why it is happening, and we would like to ask the people that are having these problems to clarify their crash report with some more information!
The reason why many of these crashes slip through is because they simply don’t happen on any of our systems. This is the reason why it is extra important that we understand exactly when and why it crashes for you.
To help us help you, these are the things that would really help us when trying to figure out what is wrong:
The type of crash
- Did the game freeze with continuous looping sounds?
- Did it crash hard with a windows crash report dialog box?
- Did it crash with a message in the game window, and a lua-stack trace?
- All details will help!
When does it happen?
What were you doing when it happened? There is a big difference between if the launcher appears as a black window and then crashes, or if it just never appears at all! These little things help a lot. If you were doing something in the game, please tell us exactly in what games modes, maps, situations, if you were using a gamepad or anything that could help us narrow the cause down. It is extra interesting if the game crashes in more than 1 situation, for example, if it crashes both at the end of a DM match, at the end of a Challenge and at the intro screen after the alpha text at the start of the game. These kinds of correlations are very helpful!
All the information that is generated in any shape or form associated to the crash can help. If it was a lua crash, the game will save screenshots of the stack trace in the “my documents/cobalt” folder. Please upload those with your crash report! If the game crashes hard, windows can generate a crash report. Please upload that together with the report!
The absolute best way to solve crash problems, is to find a step by step way to make it happen again. If you can supply us with the steps we need to take to make it crash, narrowing down the problem becomes easier!
Whether you can reproduce it or not, other information can still help. Things like, does the crash occur both in “direct-x” and “opengl” mode? Does the crash occur if you enable or disable shaders? Does the crash occur on another computer? If you can identify a case where it crashes in one but not in the other, it is again easier to narrow down the cause!
If you dont know where to upload crash screenshots, we suggest using http://imgur.com