Hi again! V105 Alpha is ready and it contains fixes and tweaks to the editor and game and a new map by Frall!
During the past couple of weeks I (thewreck) have been working on laying the technological groundwork for the campaign. There has been and still is a bunch of structure dearly in need of restructuring, and that is what I’m focusing on now.
Kinten has been working on producing content for the campaign and realizing some of the concepts made by a man named Erik! I would love to show some them but that will have to wait until we know how things turnout ingame!
Frall has been streaming himself developing maps for Cobalt daily during office hours central European time. If you are interested in seeing maps being made real-time, or if you just want to hang out in the chat with others and discuss mapping, that is a great place to meet up!
Hit the jump for the full change-log!
- bots will now randomly pick between the available actors
- teleport and entrance targets can now handle multiple matches. Picked one is random if many.
- sped up vendor purchase speed slightly
- improved/updated space/nightsky rendering
- new map bird temple!
- Pressing T after having a gamepad connected in the editor no longer crashes.
- going back and forth from the editor and menu could sometimes stop your keyboard from being able to control the menu
- Fixed editor crashing when making new locales.
- copying tiles from multiple layers would crash the editor
- tiles that are hidden as secrets now create their physics when discovered
- big gui in the editor now turns into multi column
- custom teams now work better
- some resolutions would have some overlap in the menu when selecting map.
- tile browser could have too big a surface in higher resolutions.
- editor failed to save and restore current selected layer
- certain ai concept could crash the game with certain actors due to a ai-concept default value initialization bug.
- ai would sometimes get stuck doing nothing.
- some optimizations regarding actor updates and theme updates.
- optimization for tile removal when using rain.
- debris heads are now considered part of the max debris count and will be removed as such.
- possible to select the same tile again in the tile browser now and have it close.
- space door sound was stereo and always very loud.
- rotation bug for fixed rotation tiles.
- smoothened menu preview loading
But most important of all!
We have changed the folder structure! Your profiles, controls and maps_dev folders should now be placed in the cobalt folder under /My Documents/! You can either make new profiles, or you can manually move them to the correct folders. This also means that you must login again before play offline will work (since setting files have changed locations).
- Start game once to create the folders
- Locate your cobalt installation folder, usually at c:/games/cobalt
- copy the profiles, controls and maps_dev folders
- Locate the cobalt folder under /My Documents/
- Paste the copies folders!
- Your profiles, controls and custom maps should now be usable in the game again!
The game now loads maps both from the cobalt folder (official maps), and from my documents (custom maps). If you place a map with the exact same name as an official map in the My Documents folder it will override the official map.
Note: If the launcher crashes after update, it has failed to replace the executable. You can download the installer from www.playcobalt.com or you can fix it manually: Cobalt.exe.new will be in your cobalt folder. Remove Cobalt.exe and rename Cobalt.exe.new to Cobalt.exe. Looking into what could be wrong!